Incorporated in 1927, the Town of Harmony is located at the crossroads of Highway 21 N and Highway 901 in the northern part of Iredell County.
Harmony’s early roots go back to the Harmony Hill Camp Meeting which was a two week revival meeting held on what is now the Harmony Elementary School grounds. People came in covered wagons, pitched tents, cooked over open fires and stayed the entire two weeks of the revival. This was looked at as not only a religious gathering but also as a large social gathering where many people of the time meet their future husband or wife for the very first time. The first Camp Meeting was held in 1846 and is still held the second week-end in October each year.
With Harmony being a large farming community the Harmony Farm School was founded in 1908. Although the school no longer exists, a large portion of the Harmony area is still farmed today.
Harmony remains mostly rural in nature with a population of only 533 according to the 2010 census, but within its town limits the town offers a public library, a family park, a community center that can be rented for special occasions, a public elementary school, fire department, a doctor’s office, a large number of businesses and one manufacturing plant. Other amenities include water and sewer.
Annual community activities include an Easter Egg Hunt, a Farmers' Market, the 4th of July Community Breakfast and a Christmas Parade, held the first Sunday in December.